Sunday, July 31, 2011

Post VIII (Addendum)

6/14 Addendum

This will be an inserted posting, not from actual diary entries, (as they are) but something that has been updated from memory, because I didn’t actually write this one down when it happened.

On the 14th of June, I pulled into the job site where I worked as a sign holder.  I was feeling pretty good, a bit worried about my car, but good nonetheless.  I was still at the shelter, but I had a job, and was waiting to hear back from either the liquor store or the youth girls’ treatment center/group home.

As I got out my car and was searching through the trunk to get my hat, I got a call—the treatment center/group home offered me a job!!  I was tired from the day before and was feeling broke because of the money situation, but I knew I had crossed a bridge.  This job was full time paying twice as much as what I was working for.  Also I would be back in the field of working with youth, and that was/is so important to me.  And the huge bonus about it was I would be getting the hell out that hot ass sun!! (lol)

I remember the HR rep, (whose name escapes me now) was on the phone asking me if I was excited, I was too tired to yell and whoop around, but I did let her know that I was elated and excited.  I was trippin’ because I thought I had messed up the job because I told her that I was homeless--but I guess the honesty worked to my advantage.  So I was good at this point, I could work both jobs with no issue, and I was already thinking: now I can go apartment hunting and get my mind to upward motion.

See the temp. job holding the sign would be ending in July, I would be starting the job at the treatment center/group home in two days, and I was making plans on teaching at the school in the 5 Points area.  My plate was getting full, and all the food on the plate looked delicious!  I only had to wait for the paydays. 

The other thing that I tripped off of was that it was June 14th, it was exactly 7 days from when I interviewed, and I had interviewed on the 7th……is it just me or do we see the Most High workin’ through the numbers…I’m just sayin’….Give Thanks!! 

I didn’t quit my temp job, why should I—I had to keep making money and I was getting paid every week. I was blessed, supported by the Most High, and happy in my new grounds…June was peaking for me!!  I had only been in Denver for a little over 4 weeks, and in that time, I didn’t become a world-renown poet, but I made a couple bucks; I became homeless, but kept my head, and was working through it; and now I had two jobs.   I began to feel like I could make it here, I had support here, not only financially but through a strong African-centered community, and I was regaining my mental health.  This day I knew, I would stay in Denver, it was official; Denver had earned a new resident!

No comments:

Post a Comment