Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Post IIIa (Supplement on Homelessness)

I wanted to pause and put some supplemental writing here.  Homelessness is a huge issue.  I never understood it until I became homeless.  And it felt like my situation was more by choice then situation, because I decided to quit my job, leave Omaha, and start new with no plan.  

However, I wanted to pause here and just say that being homeless was one of the most positive experiences that I have had.  It was also degrading, and depressing, but the people who were around me gave upliftment by the minete.  For instance, when I went to Bayaud Enterprises and met Mary; not only was she helpful, but she reassured me that I would not be homeless forever, and that it was a temporary situation.  Not once was she negative, or told me that I could not do something.  And I wasn't her only client, Mary is like that with everyone!!

The other experience that I had was with the shelter.  Now granted, it was not the greatest of places to stay, but it was a place to stay.  Sure it was two rooms in the basement of a church with 60 bunk-beds housing like 130 men, but the men I came in contact were positive, hard-working men.  And yes, there were some stereotypical homeless types there, but I didn't engage them.  There was a certain level of brother-hood, and honor there.  The biggest thing though was work--with those of us who were working, enjoyed working, it made us feel like men, like we were a positive part of society and not just some leech in the street begging for change.

That brings me my final point, of the way that mainstream society treats homeless people.  Society can do a whole lot more, and show a whole lot more compassion.  As a homeless person, my day went like this:  Wake up call at 5:30 am; had to be out of shelter by 7:00 am.  I didn't have to be to work until 11am.  However, if I had to use the bathroom, I either had to buy something, or I was refused the key, because there was a high homeless population in the area.  That sucked.  The other thing was just trying to find somewhere to chill and just be until I went to work.  Most people have never had to kill like four hours in a day--its damn hard with no money, and no where to go unless you have money to spend.  There needs to be somewhere for homeless people to go, during the day, for their off day, or times when they are not working, (if they are employed).

I understand that there are homeless people who sleep in parks, beg for change, and disrupt the regular schedule of greater society--but we are people as well.  I've chilled in the park, sat in the shadows just waiting, waiting on the time to report to work--and it's a hard thing to do when you have no place to call home.  I challenge anyone who calls themselves a up-standing and productive member of society to be homeless for a week.  Check into a shelter, get up, go to work, then check back in the shelter, eat dinner, shower, and go to bed.  And try to live like a homeless person for a week--I dare you!  It's a damn hard thing to do and still remain positive, and sober.

So I tip my hat to the homeless, and tell them: keep ya head up, I know it ain't easy, but you are still human, you are still a part of society, and there is love and respect out there for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment